Mentoring Circles: Join a peer-group learning session.
Mentoring365 Circles officially launched in January 2023! Circles is a new peer group learning program that will help you build skills and grow your network around common interests and objectives.
Depending on the size of the Circle, some groups will be discussion based while others will function like online workshops. Each Circle is facilitated by a lead member who is responsible for creating a plan, fostering engagement among members and ensuring the group achieves its goals.
In 2022, more than 150 members participated in three pilot Circles on Careers Outside Academia,
Science Communication and Pre-Conference Science Networking.
Register or update your profile in the Mentoring365 platform to join the next session! See the FAQ for more information.
This Circle will discuss various aspects of grant writing for novices and experts. Join this interactive Circle to learn and ask questions about how to start, touch-up, or submit proposals; also get an overview of review process at the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Members will have access to a private, online discussion forum to meet and chat with fellow geoscientists (students and early-career professionals and potentially seasoned professionals). This Circle will feature one presentation:
- Grant Writing: Matching personal goals with sponsor’s mission (Thursday, 23 February 2023 at 1-2 p.m. EST/UTC−05:00), led by Dr. Lina Patino (Supervisory Program Director in the Directorate for Geosciences) from the National Science Foundation.
Science communication (SciComm) and outreach allows you to increase your research profile, become a scientific resource in your community, break down barriers to scientific literacy and build an ongoing dialogue with people you interact with daily. We'll foster discussion on best practices, technical details, the importance of incorporating storytelling, and whatever else the group is interested in.
This circle is for those at any experience level interested in communicating science to wide audiences using visuals, audio, video, and more types of media. This Circle will host two panel discussions:
- Why and how to use multimedia in SciComm (Wednesday, 15 March 2023 at 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. EST/UTC-05:00). Come to a panel and Q&A to learn more about going into science communications and/or how to incorporate it into your scientific career.
- Multimedia and SciComm in Practice: Panel with Experts (Thursday, 13 April 2023 at11:00 – 12:00 pm EST/UTC-05:00). Learn from a panel of experts about how they use multimedia to communicate science effectively.
CURRENT ONGOING CIRCLES
- Geoscience Careers Beyond Academia: Identifying Pathways and Transferable Skills with GROW (Thursday, 19 January 2023 at 2-3 p.m. ET)
- Unearth Your Future: How You Can Shape the Geoscience Profession for the Needs of the 21st Century (Thursday, 9 February 2023 at 9-10 p.m. ET)
Want to suggest an idea for a Circle? Anyone interested in connecting others around a topic can start their own Circle. Mentoring365 admins are available for technical support. Contact administrators and reach out to our team here.